Contractor Safety Management Systems
Using contractors does not remove your obligations to ensure the work is performed in a safe manner. Greencap provides a range of services to assist organisation in demonstrating due diligence and effectively managing the safety of contractors onsite.
The three stages of contractor management need to be understood by the organisation to be successful in implementation of an effective system.
Stage 1: Contract Specification
Clear specification of health and safety requirements to contractors
Stage 2: Tender Evaluation
Verification of what has been presented on paper against what can be practically demonstrated
Stage 3: Contractor Monitoring and Supervision
Ensuring that contractors are implementing safety processes
Greencap’s highly experienced consultants work with a broad range of organisations to help them successfully implement contractor management systems that suit the style of the organisation and provide commercial and safety benefits including:
- A clear understanding of contractor health and safety management obligations and processes
- The development and implementation of a systematic approach to managing contractors
- The effective management of contractor health and safety risks
- Practical systems for managing contractors that are operationally relevant
Review procedures and practices
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of current processes for managing contractor safety
- Identification of legislative or best practice gaps and improvement opportunities
- Contextualization of procedures and provision of solutions for improved safety culture
- Development of action plans which set out priorities, targets and timelines.
Development of systems
- Processes that consider the types and risk of contracts, range of work settings and contract management arrangements
- Development of Site Management Plans
- Systems include health and safety management policies, procedures, resources, health and safety specification clauses, pre-qualification programs, tender review checklists, induction packages, key performance measures and contract evaluations
Contractor induction programs
- Development of programs to ensure contractors are fully informed
- Preparation of induction kits
- Contractor induction passports
- Provide stakeholders with contractor management skills
- Incorporation of case studies of existing contracts
- Learning outcomes measured
Onsite Contractor Verification
- Desktop and onsite reviews of contractor performance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a contractor safety management system?
If your business engages contractors as part of your workforce then these contractors are classified as ‘workers’ under the definition within the WHS Act and Regulations. Therefore, as a Person Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU), you (the business) will have responsibilities to ensure there are systems in place to minimise the risk of these workers being hurt or injured. A contractor safety management system should be part of your business processes if engaging contractors and it can look very different from business to business depending on your business operations and risks. Greencap has outlined the main elements of a contractor management system here. Take the short 'How to Manage and Monitor Your Contractors' survey and see if your business has all the elements required to manage contractors safely.
When should you implement a contractor safety management system?
It is preferable to implement a contractor safety management system as soon as it is identified that contractors may be engaged to perform work for your business. If a business is developing or implementing a new WHS system, the contractor management processes should be prioritised for development based on your business risks.
What are the benefits of a contractor safety management system?
- Assists businesses meeting their due diligence requirements ensuring compliance with WHS legislation.
- Provides cost efficiencies and streamlines business process through the engagement and evaluation of contractors.
- Reduces risk to the business through aligning contractors with your business goals and values.
- Enhances the business profile and community perception through leading other businesses to improve safety at work.
How does Greencap help organisations help monitor and supervise contractors?
Greencap's services are bespoke, consultants take the time at the beginning of each project to understand each client’s business, their risks and opportunities, timeframes and business needs to ensure the delivery of usable, resourceful and specific deliverables that are tailored to each client and their risks.
Greencap provides customised consultancy services to assist in identifying potential system improvements through a gap analysis or audit that can be performed using desktop technology or a blended approach of documentation review and onsite observations.
Consultants assist clients with revisions, updates and development of WHS Management Systems as well as working in collaboration with clients to implement the safety systems and processes. Greencap consultants are specialised and experienced in change management, training and adult learning outcomes.
Contact Our Experts
Greencap acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.