AS/NZS 4801 Occupational Health & Safety Management System
It is a legal requirement for all businesses in New Zealand to meet requirements set out in the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA) and the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016.
While other Standards and Codes of Practice can be used to support the requirements set out in the Act and Regulations, it is now compulsory for Asbestos Removalists in New Zealand to follow and have a SMS certified to the Australian/New Zealand Standard 4801, Occupational Health and Safety Management System, or BS OHSAS 18001:2001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems.
A Safety Management System should enable an organisation to:
- Establish an OHS policy appropriate to the organisation;
- Undertake hazard identification, hazard/risk assessment and control of hazards/risks arising from the organisation’s past, existing or planned activities, products or services;
- Identify the relevant legislative and regulatory requirements;
- Determine priorities and set appropriate OHS objectives and targets;
- Establish a structure and OHS Management Plan(s) to implement policy and achieve objectives and targets;
- Facilitate planning, control, monitoring, corrective action, auditing and review activities to ensure that the policy is complied with and that the OHSMS remains appropriate; &
- Adapt to changing circumstances.