News & Insights
Laws Strengthened for Legionella Control in Building Water Cooling Systems in NSW
Changes to NSW legislation around the prevention of Legionnaires’ disease have introduced a risk management approach to the management of cooling tower systems with the aim of protecting public health.
Poorly managed cooling towers can foster ideal environments for the growth of Legionella, which can contaminate water droplets disseminated into the air and increase the likelihood of contracting Legionnaires’ disease, posing a potentially fatal outcome for those exposed.
What are the new requirements?
From 10 August 2018, building managers are required to meet the following safeguard measures:
- Mandatory Risk Management Plan (RMP) for each cooling tower system;
- Annual independent audits of the RMP;
- Reporting of RMP and audit outcomes to local government; and
- Unique cooling tower identification numbers to be displayed within 30 days of issue.
These requirements are in addition to the regulations mandated 1 January 2018, which stated that:
- Water samples are to be tested for Legionella, and heterotrophic colony count (HCC); and
- Local councils are to be notified of the results if levels of bacteria detected are: Legionella, ≥ 1,000 cfu/mL or HCC ≥ 5,000,000 cfu/mL.
Further information from NSW Health can also be found on the NSW Department of Health website.
Greencap’s expertise in cooling tower risk management
The Greencap team has a depth of experience around plant and equipment, including a variety of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems – particularly in the area of Legionella risk and cooling tower consultation. Greencap has been assisting clients with Legionella and cooling tower risk management for over three decades and currently provides risk management advisory services to a diverse range of clients across Australia in a wide variety of industries including:
- Healthcare & Hospitals
- Industrials & Manufacturing
- Retail, Wholesale & Distribution
- Facilities & Property Management
Greencap consultants are experienced in writing, reviewing and auditing cooling tower Risk Management Plans and Risk Assessments and manage microbiological testing and corrosion monitoring programs.
Online risk management dashboard
Greencap offers access to the tailored online reporting system, ContinuONE, which enables 24/7 tracking of Legionella and HCC results, as well as other risks associated with your cooling tower system.
Need assistance? Contact Greencap support
Tim Brumby: 0402 909 390