News & Insights
EPA Victoria Response to COVID-19
EPA Victoria has provided an update on their regulatory approach during the COVID-19 pandemic, including additional support for business and the community. They have advised that duty holders remain responsible for environmental impacts from their activities and should plan business continuity with that in mind.
In particular, duty holders should ensure that they are able to maintain and operate pollution control equipment. Solid and liquid waste must continue to be consigned and disposed of appropriately, and to appropriately approved facilities. Duty holders in the waste industry should maintain good communications with clients and EPA, particularly around any predicted service disruptions.
Dr. Cathy Wilkinson, EPA CEO said that: (EPA) remains focused on preventing harm to communities and our shared environment (from pollution and waste) and continues to carry out our regulatory functions. This essential regulatory work includes:
- Responding to priority pollution reports
- Carrying out regulatory compliance and enforcement activities, including through inspections
- Providing environmental and public health advice, including to emergency services
- Continuing clean-up of high-risk sites
- Air quality monitoring
- Regulatory approvals
- Waste crime prevention
Regulatory work has adapted to be consistent with the government's advice around physical distancing as a means of slowing the spread of coronavirus to save lives.
EPA has established a dedicated support team to assist duty holders, focused on:
- Supporting essential services such as the waste, energy and water sectors with timely response to queries
- Supporting business continuity planning and implementation by all duty holders
- Development of additional guidance on coronavirus related matters
How Greencap can help
To help you comply with your environmental and OHS duties, Greencap remains operational and can help you manage your HSE risks during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Greencap offers a range of services from infection control to compliance assessment (including respirator fit-testing) and business risk management; click here for a full list of services.